Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged! For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go! -Josh 1:9

Flowers that Quickly Fade

It always amazes me how the Spirit speaks at times and in ways that we least expect. This morning, I went out to weed/pluck the flowers. Just the other day, all of our flowers were blooming and were so beautiful and perfect. But as of yesterday, more than half have shriveled and the flowerbed looks awful. As I was plucking all the dead flowers and buds, I was reminded of truths expressed through a song. "Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth would care to know my name and care to see my hurt?..Not because of what I've done, but because of what you've done. Not because of who I am, but because of who you are...I am a flower quickly fading. Here today and gone tomorrow. A wave tossed in the ocean; a vapor in the wind. Still you hear me when I'm calling. Lord you catch me when I'm falling. And you told me who I am. I am yours!" So many of you have commended Josh-Pruitt and I in our choice to move overseas, and it has meant so much to us. But, who am I? Just as I was plucking all the dead flowers among those that have just begun to bloom, I was reminded that we are just like them. We are beautiful, can do many things on our own, and have a purpose Yet, our lives are so small in comparison to time and the universe. I am nothing without the Lord, I can do nothing without Him, and everything I do, is because OF Him. That is the only reason why we go and are able to do that which He has called us to do. I thank the Lord for this precious reminder. How amazing, rather than in the hustle and bustle of American life, God so easily teaches me His truths in the simple tasks of mending the flowers that quickly fade.

No comments: