Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged! For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go! -Josh 1:9

Diwali Celebrations

The biggest festival in the Hindu religion is called Diwali or Festival of Lights. Hindus will be celebrating this on 2 days: Choti Diwali (small Diwali) on October 27 and Diwali on October 28. Some of our Indian friends invited us to their house for Diwali so it will be interesting to learn more about the festival from them.

Our housing complex put on a large party last night with music, dancing, games, food, prize drawings, and firecrackers. People decorate their homes with lights. Fireworks have been heard going off for the last week and will continue for the next week. That would be the reason the sky has been so hazy for the last week. Josh-Pruitt was sick all day which left me going down by myself. I was a bit nervous not knowing if I would see anyone I knew, but went nonetheless. I know it sounds crazy..Alicia nervous to be social? But yes, every now and then I do get a bit self conscious about mingling in the crowd. One lady with her son came up and spent time getting to know me. I was very thankful. It is always interesting learning about different cultures and their customs. I do have to say though, I was a bit confused at exactly what the purpose and meaning of this party was. Clearly everyone was having fun hence the idea of a Diwali PARTY. However, I guess I was just surprised that there was nothing more significant regarding religion. Perhaps that aspect of it is more private and we will learn more at our friends home. But, just being me, when something is beyond my understanding, I always ask questions until it becomes clear. So my guiding questions are: What is the purpose of Diwali? Why are lights important? How does the Indian celebrations/practices of Diwali reflect it's purpose?

I was also really excited about one other meeting I had. As many of you know, I found out that the lady who retired recently as head of the IB school in Gurgaon lives in our complex. Well last night I met her and we began sharing about each other. She is in the process of starting another IB PYP school and needs teachers. She is going to begin interviewing next month and gave me all her information. She told me to stop by anytime and give her my resume. I was amazed and she was as well. I am not sure what the Lord is doing in this, but I will continue to pray for guidance and trust Him to make the path clear. His ways are definitely exciting!

No comments: