Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged! For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go! -Josh 1:9

Adventures in "Maid"hood

Chatting with our maid is one daily event where we are left quite puzzled as to what people think of us as soon to be/new parents. We fear our adventures in parenthood are going to spur on many new adventures in "maid"hood that leave us shaking our heads!

About a month ago, she was looking at the crib we bought for Sawyer. It has wheels on the bottom that lock. When she saw this, she immediately called me (Alicia) into his room and began to inform me that the wheels were dangerous because the crib will roll when the baby goes to push on it. I responded by explaining to her how it won't be a problem as he won't be mobile for quite some time. She looked at me with big eyes and understanding seemed to flow in at that moment. She just laughed. I walked away wondering what she must have been thinking!

This past week a friend of mine gave us several baby items that they did not need anymore. One item was a pair of toddler shoes that were in excellent condition! Being the planner that I am, I definitely took them knowing they would be great in a year or so. When the maid saw them sitting on the table, she picked them up, got my attention and began to inform me as to how they were very big shoes. I responded, yes I know. She then continued to inform me that my baby is going to be small and these shoes won't fit him because they are way too big. I responded by explaining to her how it won't be a problem as he will be able to wear them in a year or so. She looked at me with big eyes and understanding seemed to flow in at that moment. She just laughed. Can you guess what I did? That's right..I walked away wondering what she must have been thinking!

I know Indians are not planners, don't think ahead for the most part, and pretty much make decisions for today. I, however, just spent an hour yesterday drinking coffee and planning my schedule for the next month and a half. But regardless of our difference, we are pretty sure that new adventures await in "maid"hood as we continue to embark in adventures in parenthood.

No comments: