Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged! For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go! -Josh 1:9

Metallic Hazards and Other Myths

While we are about to end our journey of our first pregnancy, we have learned a lot from family, friends, and highly recommended literature. But there have been many lessons we have learned from our Indian friends, completely devoted to the words taught, that are quite interesting. Read all the interesting tidbits and decide for yourself whether they are to be followed religiously or are mere myths.

This is a picture that a friend gave to me when she first found out that we were expecting. According to Indian tradition, a "would be mother" should find a picture of a baby that she likes and desires for her child to be like. She is to place the picture in a place that she can view it many times during the day. By viewing this picture, your baby will turn out to be just like the baby in the picture. This was the one she used and wanted me to use it too. Honestly, I took it to be nice as I wasn't sure what to do or say, but it's been in the drawer ever since. Plus, even if this did work, this is not what I would desire for Sawyer to look like. Sorry my dear friend Sarah!

I received a text from a friend regarding the "crucial" hours of 5:30-7:30AM on July 21. This was the exact moment that the eclipse occurred in India. She was relieved to find out that I had been sleeping during that time and, when I woke up at 7:30, had only handled objects pertaining to the making of coffee. Apparently, it is hazardous for a "would be mom" to be awake during an eclipse and to handle these things: knife, scissors, and/or fire. When asked why, she replied, "Because the eclipse lets off hazardous rays that make those objects more powerful and can be VERY harmful for the baby. You must NEVER do so!

A friend gave advice as to how I should dress Sawyer the first 2 weeks of his life according to Indian culture. Apparently, I am to dress him in the ugliest, oldest clothes for that period of time so that no one will give him compliments. If he receives positive comments such as: "Oh he is precious" or "He is so cute!" this will bring attention to him and the evil spirits will come and hurt him. It also helps to put one block dot near his eyes for protection as well.

What I drink can highly affect the color of Sawyer's skin. Most Indian women refrain from drinking tea and coffee because it will make their baby's skin darker. Instead they drink lots of milk and plain yogurt. So I guess I SHOULD drink tons of tea and coffee so Sawyer will have a nice all year round tan?

Again decide for yourself whether these things are helpful tips or mere myths. But I must share that for us, we do not believe any of it because of the Truths found in the Word of God!

No comments: