Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged! For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go! -Josh 1:9

Me? Voter Fraud?

Today is Nov 2!  Happy Election Day!  But a few weeks ago, the thought of election day was a bit disturbing to me.  I was questioned a bit for possible voter fraud!  ME!  The girl who turned herself into her 6th grade science teacher for cheating on one test question because the guilt was overwhelming and I HAD to come clean.  ME!  Voter fraud?

It all began when we were in the States for our visa trip.  Making sure to demonstrate our American freedoms and responsibilities, we headed to the courthouse to vote absentee during our stay in the States.  It is always such an honor to hold the long white ballot in my hands, ask the Lord to guide me in my selections, and pray that I be a citizen of integrity regardless of the actions of others that I can't control.

I handed the lady my driver's license for identification, she noticed I had an Indian address, and wanted to clarify that it was correct.  Knowing we had just shifted to another flat, I asked her to change 1503 to 001.  She was not able to do so as a message popped up saying that a 2011 election ballot had already been sent to the address.  In the background, I can hear JP chatting and laughing with another lady who WAS able to change his address.  That brought me comfort knowing that it must have been a mistake.  She handed me the ballot and told me to proceed as she figured out the problem.

So there I was, trying to focus and decide yes or no on all the "hard working" amendments when I heard 2 ladies discussing ME!!  The computer is saying she has already received a ballot.  Which lady?  The one over there voting.  Oh I don't know.  Just wait till she's done and then talk to her.  My stomach was in KNOTS!!

Long story short, but that doesn't really have any reasonable conclusion, I had requested an absentee ballot in 2008.  I remember THAT (picture above proves it)!  The ladies weren't entirely sure what the problem was, but thought the computer was saying I had already requested a ballot for this election.  I told them that I had NOT done anything like that since two years ago.  I pleaded that this gentleman was my husband whom I lived with in India, that I had not requested a ballot, etc...  They informed me that they would accept my ballot and that if I received another one in India that I was to rip it up!  Feeling insecure with my character in question, I PROMISED them I would do so!  Me?  Voter Fraud?

Today is November 2!  Happy Election Day!  No ballot in India so far.  I voted!  Voted with integrity!  Praying for YOU and that whomever God allows to fill seats will be in our prayers as they make decisions and lead our country!

No comments: