I try not to be surprised at the many experiences that can take place in India within 24 hours. We were on the road in an autorickshaw, heading to the ATM, when suddenly an elephant passed by to the left
of us. I got so excited, as elephants are among my favorites, and wished my 3rd graders could be with me at that moment. Later we went to visit our new friends, Deepak, Sarika, and Swyum. We had a lovely time, laughed over tea, shared about our lives, and were touched by the beginning of a dear friendship. Then, as we were heading back to Delhi, we stopped at a stoplight. A small boy and girl approached the car. He started beating on a drum and she started dancing. I knew they wanted money and I never give them money on the roadside as I know they may never see that money. I usually go and buy them something small to eat, but it wasn't possible at the moment. Therefore, I told them no and to go on. The little girl looked at me and the screamed loudly right in my face through the window. My mouth dropped open and I was speechless. Again, the experiences one can have within 24 hours are unique and vast. But my response is only to close my eyes, shake my head slowly, chuckle, and say Oh Lord, thank you for India.
of us. I got so excited, as elephants are among my favorites, and wished my 3rd graders could be with me at that moment. Later we went to visit our new friends, Deepak, Sarika, and Swyum. We had a lovely time, laughed over tea, shared about our lives, and were touched by the beginning of a dear friendship. Then, as we were heading back to Delhi, we stopped at a stoplight. A small boy and girl approached the car. He started beating on a drum and she started dancing. I knew they wanted money and I never give them money on the roadside as I know they may never see that money. I usually go and buy them something small to eat, but it wasn't possible at the moment. Therefore, I told them no and to go on. The little girl looked at me and the screamed loudly right in my face through the window. My mouth dropped open and I was speechless. Again, the experiences one can have within 24 hours are unique and vast. But my response is only to close my eyes, shake my head slowly, chuckle, and say Oh Lord, thank you for India.
3 comments:
I can't wait to show the kids tomorrow. What an experience. Love you tons.
You have made me and Ben laugh tonight. Although distance separates us, we love hearing about your day to day lives...the chaotic and the unusual!
I wish I could have seen the elephants, they are in my top ten favorite animals.
Quinn
Post a Comment