Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged! For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go! -Josh 1:9

Learning Hindi


As many of you may know, I have become friends with a young lady named Micah*. She and I met for coffee yesterday and had our first language lesson. She is so sweet and her smile is always so encouraging to me. I had not slept very well the night before and my brain was not at all ready to start my Hindi lessons. But she was quite patient and we started very simple. I love teaching, but as a student of Hindi, I need prayers for sure. It's not as difficult as some languages that have a variety of tones, however, it's complex in its own way.

I was also excited when I got to talk to Micah's mom on the phone. Our conversations are always kept short as she only speaks Hindu and mine is quite minimal. We have been hoping to meet her family soon and during my conversation with her, she invited us over in December for a birthday celebration for her son. I was very excited and accepted the offer even though Micah had to help me understand everything she was saying in regards to the invite. Oh dear...Lord help me learn this language so I CAN have comprehendable conversations with those in their heart language who don't know mine.

No comments: