Fall is here and yet it's hard to get into the season without cooler temperatures and a lack of changing leaves. Our hearts are also a bit saddened to not celebrate the Lindsay traditions of carving pumpkins, eating Mom's soup in a bread bowl, and making fun of the old movie we watched when we were younger called "Witches" by Jim Henson. So on October 31, JP and I drove around town looking for larger gourds in which we thought we might be able to carve for a Mayfield Halloween Tradition in India. However, we were not successful, and were even lacking good chocolate to eat because we refused to buy the Hershey's Mini-Bar packet for $10 at the store. Instead we spent the evening drinking Chai, eating Namkeens (Indian snacks) with our dearest friends M&M. SO...Halloween traditions are definitely different this year.
But the funniest memory for Halloween this year happened today, November 2. It was just past 8pm and our door bell rang. Two young Indian boys dressed in normal attire stood at the door holding bags of candy and shouted the infamous "Trick or Treat". I quickly ran to the kitchen, got the only chocolate bar we had, and told them they would have to share it. "No problem Auntie". Oh I just love it when they call me that!! Then I inquired after their costumes. They told me they were broken. Hmm? I responded by saying, "Okay no problem this time, but next time you must wear your costumes AND you have to come 2 days before on October 31. That's Halloween okay boys?" Again, "Okay No problem Auntie!" I closed the door, looked at JP, and we both just laughed. As one who has always prided herself in having great costumes for Halloween (Minnie Mouse, Southern Bell, Catwoman), it was very sad! November trick or treaters without costumes? No offense, I honestly have to say...only in India.
Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged! For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go! -Josh 1:9
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment