Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged! For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go! -Josh 1:9

If I'd Only had My Camera..

Whenever we go out, I always think..Alicia don't forget to bring your camera just in case. Well this morning was one of those days when I told myself to do that very thing, but in the busy pursuit of leaving for a trip to Delhi, forgot my camera. And wouldn't you know it, we had an amazingly, unique experience that would have been awesome to get footage of...if I'd only had my camera. But for now, I will just have to paint the picture using words until the next time (and show a pic from online).

We were just minutes from arriving at our friend's home when we suddenly found ourselves in a traffic jam. JP decided to follow the leader and began driving in the opposite lane which soon left us in the middle of what I would call a 4 lane traffic jam in the middle of an intersection. We could go NO WHERE! Then suddenly a band, dressed in red uniforms, began beating their drums and playing trumpets. Then women all dressed in red and beating decorative sticks came down the street and began dancing in the midst of traffic. And that's when we saw him...the bridegroom. It is custom in the Hindu religion for the bridegroom to ride up to the brides home on a horse or a horse drawn carriage to be presented to his bride wearing a beautifully ornate suit and a veil of jasmine. The procession starts several yards away from the house and then travels down the road until it reaches it's destination. The procession was the cause of the traffic jam and we were right smack dab in the center of it. The band was to our right, women were dancing near our car, and we were so close to the bridegroom, that he and I actually locked eyes for a moment and all I could do was smile as a way to just give him my blessing for his special day.

I had seen processions like this before, but always from a distance. Being in the center of it was a new experience and I just wanted to hit myself for NOT having my camera! I suppose we should buy another one to keep locked in the glove compartment for the next time I forget our camera. Oh and just in case your wondering..yes we did finally make it out of the traffic jam. The large truck that was in front of us that we were facing head on let us through after I smiled and just greeted him with a prayer like greeting. JP said it was only because of me flashing my baby blues, but I don't think so.

1 comment:

shauna said...

We got to watch your video clip in Second Eleven today. Oh, how we are so thankful for the work that is taking place. He is so good! Keep us updated on Dean and Sarah!