One thing I struggle with as a woman living in India is the consistency of men staring no matter where I go OR what I am wearing. Whether it's on my balcony, walking Sookie, shopping in a mall, or sitting in the car, Indian men have this way of looking and not stopping until they finally have to because they are about to endanger their life by running into something else in front of them! I am often tempted to stick my tongue out, but of course restrain myself.
But last night I experienced staring at a whole new level. We attended our first Antenatal class at The Cradle, the clinic where we will be delivering our first child. We were the only white couple out of the 6 total couples attending. From the start, everyone was staring. But then, the men were asked to sit in chairs while the women remained on floor mats with pillows to learn and practice helpful pregnancy exercises. So there I was practicing pelvic thrusts when I heard the sweet instructor comment "OH ALICIA, you are doing very well!" She must have been impressed with my excellent technique and graceful style? She then had the whole class stop, turn and watch me as an example! I couldn't believe it! Later, we were to practice Kegel Exercises. Imagine hearing the following in the typical Indian/English accent.."Now class we will be practicing the tightening and relaxation of the muscle you use to urinate. This will help you not urinate in your pants when coughing and sneezing after pregnancy. I can't tell you how to do this, so I want you to close your eyes, think of the muscle and try to exercise it. Okay, if you cannot, then imagine the feeling of urinating and what it takes to stop the flow. Are you feeling it?" Something about that moment was too much for me to handle! I started laughing hard but silently. Afterwards the instructor told the class that she really liked how happy I was because smiling and being happy like Alicia means your child will then be happy all the time! Again, all eyes were on me...the teacher's pet!
Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged! For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go! -Josh 1:9
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh Alicia, this post had me rolling! I'm impressed with The Cradle...especially the baby name feature!
Post a Comment