Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged! For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go! -Josh 1:9

What's that Wretched Smell?

It's bad enough that we often run across horrible smells on the road side, but it's quite another when there is a wretched smell within your own vehicle that will not go away and causes you to carry the odor with you everywhere you go. Truly, I had never smelled anything so awful before in my life! For the last 3 days, I have been left wondering..what's that wretched smell?
It all started Monday evening. JP arrived home from a 16 hour day trip to Mathura. I ran up, immediately gave him a hug, and quickly backed away. He smelled of something very similar to strong, potent onions. He told me he had lots of onions for one of his meals. That explanation sufficed until the following afternoon.
When we got into the car, I was immediately taken back by the same odor. It was as if the smell consumed every space within my lungs and knocked me down. JP again figured it must have been smells from the food they had eaten the day before. Either that or someone that had joined him on the trip had bad body odor. I thought to myself, what did you all do after you ate? Relieve gas? Rub onions into the seats and carpets? I am never surprised to find out what 4 men are capable of on a 16 hour day trip. After quickly checking throughout the car and coming up unsuccessful in locating the odorous agent, we headed out on our journey.
Afterward, we left the windows cracked to air out our vehicle overnight. But to our dismay, as we headed out this morning, my lungs were again consumed by the smell before even OPENING the car door. I had had it! I searched high and low like a detective examining a crime scene! A crime had been committed against my delicate pregnant senses and the guilty party would not go undetected any longer!
What's that wretched smell? In a small compartment within the passenger side door of the middle section of our car was a small, white, plastic bag. The bag was knotted and contained 1 tsp of an Indian spice with a name that has no parellel to that in the English language. Apparently our partner, Sonny, had purchased the spice in Mathura, put it in the door, and forgotten to take it out. The guilty party was not given a fair trial and, despite my opposing views on littering, was tossed out into a dirt field near the parking lot.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I think there was a Seinfeld episode that strongly parallels this post!