Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged! For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go! -Josh 1:9

Reflections...Man in the Mirror

I know that all the news has talked about lately is Michael Jackson, but I just can't help but take a few moments to express a few thoughts. Despite any of his personal problems, like we all face or are capable of facing without Jesus Christ as our strength, Michael Jackson definitely made an impact on the world and, unlike most stars today, was a true artist! It's been fascinating to watch the news and see how so many around the world are responding to his death.

We had an Indian electrician come to our house to check our fire alarms. He saw the news, looked shocked, and asked us "Michael Jackson katum hogiya?" You could tell that he couldn't believe it! We were amazed that even a simple Indian electrician was affected by MJ's death in such a big way.

While watching the news this morning, I saw the most interesting story. Apparently, part of the rehabilitation methods practiced in a prison in Cebu Province of the Philippines is teaching 1500 inmates MJ dances. They actually perform for the public quite often. Here is the video of Thriller.


I always knew that MJ didn't like what he saw in the world and often in the mirror. His convictions were definitely expressed in songs like "We are the World", "Heal the World", and "Man in the Mirror". So many of us try to make the world a better place by supporting programs, giving money to those in need, serving as a way to give back, and just providing love to those who don't seem to receive it. Michael Jackson did this as well as shine in the music industry. But it leaves me still asking many questions...
What really matters in life?
When I die, I take nothing with me, and am just another existance that has ended on this earth. So what matters?Status?Popularity?Riches?Experiences?Family?But don't all those just end too?
Since the beginning of time, people have been trying to "Heal the World", but it's still so messed up! Is healing the world the right focus?
Healing...is the disease physical?emotional?spiritual?
Is there something that I can do during this one life that I live, that would have an impact on eternity?
What profit is there if a man gains the WHOLE world, but loses his soul?

Although not quite 30, I do feel that the Lord Jesus has taught me many things in life. Some of which are answers to all of these questions and it's times like these that those answers seem to ring louder than ever. I could be the best teacher to my 20 students, I could feed hundreds of beggar children in Thailand, send thousands of boxes of school supplies to children in Afghanistan, or just simply smile/love/pray for as many of the millions of Indians I see everyday. But in the end, those will all be in vain for they only affect life on earth and end here. Don't get me wrong, Jesus always modeled meeting physical needs and we should always reach out in the same way. However, in the end, the disease is spiritual and is called sin. The biggest impact and decision I can make for eternity is to follow Christ and share Him with as many people as I know! For it is life in Him that is eternal and is the only thing we can take with us when we close our eyes for the last time as Michael Jackson did this week.

1 comment:

Ashley Franks said...

Wow, that is so well written. I've been thinking so much about this too. Thanks for the inspiration.