This is our first Christmas as Mom and Dad and, we of course, are making many new memories with Sawyer and setting traditions. However, a deeper understanding of Christmas is hitting us this year more than ever before.
The other day, we were all sitting in the living room listening to Christmas music when the song "Mary Did You Know?" came on. I was holding Sawyer, and suddenly the words of the song impacted me a bit different. Sawyer is obviously NOT Jesus, but the passion and understanding of what Mary and Joseph must have felt for their son, Jesus, became real! Everyday we talk with Sawyer, hug him, kiss him, stare at him, and are amazed at every little step of progress. I am thankful each day for the special Mother-Son bond he and I have because of breastfeeding. Mary and Joseph did many of these things the same as we do with Sawyer. So this is what Mary felt for her baby?! And yet, each day I gaze into the eyes of my son, Sawyer Pruitt Mayfield, who is not perfect, sins, and is only human. Mary gazed into the precious eyes of our Lord Jesus Christ!
And I think Sawyer is wonderful and adorable? Right now he is finally holding his head up, sucking his thumb, screaming and talking, turning from side to side, and smiles like crazy!! I then started imagining Jesus as a wonderful and adorable baby boy as well and I couldn't stop the tears! Christmas, the birth of a baby named Jesus, who grew up to take away the sins of every nation, tongue, and tribe, means so much more now to us as parents than it ever has before.
Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged! For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go! -Josh 1:9
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Alicia, I totally understand what you mean. As a new mommy to a precious baby boy, I also had those same thoughts when I heard "Mary Did You Know?" for the first time this year. Motherhood brings so many things to light, doesn't it?
Post a Comment