"What's your son's name?"
"Sawyer."
"Shoyr?"
"Sawyer."
"How do you spell that?"
"S-A-W-Y-E-R"
We have noticed that every time we go to the doctor's office, it takes the receptionist an abnormally long amount of time to find Sawyer's name on the computer in order to print out our bill. This past week, the receptionist was unable to find his information and took it upon herself to just start a brand new file for him. That's when JP intervened and made sure to verbally spell his name out so that she would be able to type it correctly: S-A-W-Y-E-R. Her attempts were still unsuccessful and JP checked the screen to see what she had typed.
S-A-U-U-Y-E-R
A common habit in this culture is to use the phrase "double" when a phone number or word has a number or letter seen twice. So for example, my mobile number starts out 99100....When sharing my number I would say double nine, one, double 0. So apparently, when we have spelled Sawyer's name, they hear double U rather that W!!
We decided to ask a good Indian friend how to solve this problem. He advised us that, in India, the letter W is pronounced dablue. So from now....
"What's your son's name?"
"Sawyer."
"Shoyr?"
"Sawyer."
"How do you spell that?"
"S-A-Dablue-Y-E-R"
Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged! For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go! -Josh 1:9
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Very funny! I'm loving all your blogging!
Wanna know something sad?
Doctors' offices right here in the good ole' usa always pronounce Ian's name "I-n (eye-n)." HUH?!
I feel your pain. Well, sort of. Glad you guys are doing great!!
Post a Comment