Among all the places we've traveled, the Indian people exhibit great examples of hospitality. We can be walking in the gardens, meet a stranger, and be invited to their place for Chai. First impression leaves me believing they are the "People of Hospitality". However, it is not a specific nationality that should be known for this. Rather, all people's of the Way.
Lately, I have been gaining fresh insight from the book of Romans in my readings of the Word. In the 12th chapter, Paul (the author) writes that as people who follow we are to be...he goes on to share a list of many attributes as well as practices. But for the first time, I really honed in on one in particular. We are to "pursue hospitality". NOT just be hospitable. NOT make and give things when it's expected throughout the year. BUT PURSUE hospitality!! Pursue: to go in search of or hunt for.
If you're like me, perhaps you struggle with having people over unless your house is emmaculate. (Get over it-remember most people don't see the all dust!) Or perhaps you hesitate because your not sure what to fix "picky" eaters (dessert and coffee never fail), tend to be more of a loner and enjoy your own space (start small-one person), or have intent to do many things, but are just too busy to fit everything in (make a schedule, start small, and begin planning out who you will LOVE for the month)!
You see, although the Indian people are very hospitable, I am learning the intent is misplaced. And yet, I still can learn much from them. A stranger for Chai? How many co-workers did I see everyday and eat lunch with in the teacher's lounge, but never had them over to my home? How many people live on my street and yet I never made them something yummy just to show love? How many people do I call "family" at fellowship and yet I only "hang out" with them on Sundays and maybe a monthly get-together? We are to be pursuing hospitality!! We should be known as the "People of Hospitality". When we do it for the glory of the Most High to share His love, it's pure. When we do it for Him, that's when we let our light shine!
Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged! For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go! -Josh 1:9
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
So very true Alicia. I struggle with this a lot. I don't have an emmaculate home, but I so badly want to invite my Sunday School class over for a meal after church one Sunday. Thanks for the great insight about Romans. BTW, love keeping up with you and your family. Not sure if your remember me or not, but my husband and I are the one's who bought your red chair before you left and later found out we both knew Jill and went to the same church. We are currently in Scot Wilson's Sunday school class and pray for you all often. Hope to beable to come fellowship with you someday!
Love in Christ,
Chaz Zumwalt
Post a Comment