Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged! For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go! -Josh 1:9

Whispers of Truth: Compliments are NOT like Petrol

Petrol.  My husband seems to be going to the Petrol station a lot more these last few months and, at least one of those, left us using our WHOLE gas allowance which never happens.  "Full tank".  But after several doctor's visits, many trips to Delhi, traffic jams due to flooded roads, and running around town trying to find our 2 favorite kinds of cheese, he was going back weekly.  "Full tank".  Once you get it, you use it, and you run out.  Unfortunately, as women, we often feel the same way about compliments and how they relate to our own self image and inner "special-ness". 

Whisper of Truth:
 Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you are also doing. 
  -1 Thessalonians 5:11


While at the retreat, the speaker was going around handing out books to everyone.  I had not had much of an opportunity to talk to her at this point, the session that evening had been particularly teachable for me, and I wanted to show my gratitude somehow in a quick, endearing way.  I decided that if she came to me to hand out the books for our row, I would reach out and slightly pat her hand and smile.  And, she did.  I then followed through with my plan.  That's when she stopped, leaned over, looked into my eyes and said, "You are such an encouragement to me!  Thank you!"  Eyes wide and speechless, I was able to force a smile, and then quickly whipped around, put my face down and began weeping!  I know, I know, pregnancy, right?  No.  I wept because of the overwhelming sense of His presence around me at that very moment, his love surrounding me as if HE had been the one speaking those very words to me.  I was overwhelmed by His amazing love!  All because a sister took the time to compliment something about me that honestly, to this day, I am still not sure what it was that I did sitting in the audience, listening, that encouraged her.  I tend to believe it was something she was led to do.

Patty, later, shared this truth about women that I had never thought of before, but it seemed to make perfect sense once hearing it.  Sometimes we feel that to uplift someone else, compliment them, or praise them for a success in their life, we somehow degrade ourselves.  By giving, we run out.  We somehow feel that it makes us less special, less pretty, or less important.  Especially on our more "down" days.  I know there have been times in my life when I was self-conscious about myself, saw someone later who seemed to "WOW" me that day, which just added to the already pity party I was having for myself, and, therefore, never complimented that person.  Please know, I didn't realize it back then, but only after hearing this, was I able to reflect and assess.  Since then, and knowing how He used Patty's compliment in my life to love me, I am trying to find ways to compliment people, especially other women, daily! 

How often do you find yourself noticing another lady in your family, at work, at school, or within your social settings and thinking she looks pretty, you like her outfit, you think she is just so talented, or you like "this" about her?  How often do you follow through and share that encouragement with that person?  Do not be deceived by the enemy in thinking if you uplift her, you somehow "run out" of special-ness within.  I promise He will fill both of your hearts with love that leaves you in joyful tears!!

No comments: