Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged! For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go! -Josh 1:9

The Scent and the Letter

For the last week, Sawyer's mood has been quite different than his normal, happy, go-with-the-flow self.  He's had a cold, but, even then, his behavior has just been off with things that have never been problems before: naps, milk, food, playtime, hugs, etc..!  My confidence as Mommy has been a bit shaken this past week.  So this morning, I grabbed my cup of coffee and started re-reading sections of Pre-Toddler Wise.  I was in need of BOTH: Folger's Vanilla Biscotti with a "dash" of Cinnamon Vanilla creamer and a few wise words from those who have gone before me!

And yet, what a reminder both were to me this morning as to who I am!  As I sat, the Spirit took my thoughts to another place.  I have been gaining much insight from the first few chapters of 2 Corinthians this week.  In ch 2, it is written that we, who are followers of Christ, are the SCENT of Christ.  In ch 3, it is written that we, who are followers of Christ, are the letter.  Alicia, to the Most High, you are the scent of Christ everywhere you go and, along with that, you are the letter, bearing a message more glorious than what was before and completely unveiled for all to freely see and understand!  Let me paint the picture of where the Spirit took me in my thinking and application...

A Scent: Like the aroma rising from my cinnamon vanilla coffee, like my Giving Thanks Yankee Candle that I can't wait to burn in the house, not something you can see, something you sense, distinguished, welcoming, soothing, if hungry can increase the desire of appetite even more than before, bringing the smell of the "good" or the "bad", victorious wherever it goes.  

A Letter: Like my Toddler Wise book, authors write to bear a message to others, boldness while holding nothing back for it's what they believe to be true for implementation, Moses had the 10 commandments but written on tablets of stone, his face had to be veiled, people could not look at him, that was considered glorious, yet the 10 commandments purpose fades, my "letter" is written on the tablet of my heart, where the Spirit of the Lord is there is freedom, no need to be veiled,  the letter is enduring, and it is more glorious than anything ever written in the Old Testament!

I come in contact with at least ONE Indian lady each day.  Do I live each day knowing, speaking, and acting in such a way that they come away "sensing" the aroma of something different than anything else: Christ?  When I am with that ONE lady, is my mind, mouth, ears, eyes, and heart ready to remember that I am a letter, having a message written by the Spirit on my heart, and boldly speaking it all the while claiming the glory that comes with it: Freedom in Christ?

Don't you just LOVE how our Lord meets us where we are.  Here I was, questioning myself as Mommy and He is teaching me to remember WHO I AM in CHRIST!!  And remember dear friend, YOU, who are a follower of Christ, are the scent and letter as well!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement today! Just what I needed. God bless you and your family as you minister in His name. Hope your pregnancy is going well. Babies are a sweet gift from the Lord. My 'babies' are 21 and nearly 15 yrs. old! Lisa