Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged! For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go! -Josh 1:9

Twilight...A Journey in Reading

First of all, let me share my heart with you. Many years ago, I learned a very hard lesson of which I am now truly thankful. I heard many opinions from people, some of whom I greatly trusted, about a certain author and book that was a bestseller. They opposed the book, I listened to their reasons, and was completely appalled at the literature. I too opposed the books without even reading them. Later, during a discussion, I completely made a fool of myself because I didn't really know what the books were all about and the "points" I made really didn't make sense. I left wondering if the advice I received came from people who had not read the book either! I was ignorant and, with the Lord's help, will never do that again! With that said, you are welcome to read my thoughts about the book Twilight, but I encourage you to not base your opinion on my words. Go, get the book, and check it out for yourself. Parents, you especially! KNOW what your kids are reading!! Let the Lord guide you!

1. Romance-This book was very clean, no inappropriate scenes, and presented a sweet story of 2 high school students falling in love. At times, you could sense the tension between them. For this reason, I don't think younger students should read the book. There is no reason why students of younger ages should be thinking about feeling those things. Life and puberty already make that tough!
2. Language-This book was very clean and, within it's 400 some pages, only one "bad" word was used: The "d"word. I know that sounds silly, but I choose to refrain from speaking that way. So the book was much cleaner than most PG movies we all watch on tv or at the movies.
3. Horror/Darkness- Without ruining the book, let me just say that when you hear that one of the main characters is a vampire, wipe away all thoughts you know or have heard about vampires in the past. I never felt convicted, dark, or afraid as I read this book. (This is coming from a person who turns her eyes away at scary previews because I get nightmares).
4. Age of Readers-As a teacher, I have worked with many young readers. Although most students understand fiction from non-fiction, differences in fiction are often something they don't always grasp. I would wonder the same thing about younger students reading this book. Along with the romantic tension in the book, I really think students younger than sophomores or juniors in high school should NOT read this book. Like many other books, it really should be read by adults.

I did like the book. I thought the author was quite creative and enjoyed reading her way of expression. I will continue to read the other 2 books to have a full view of the series and will share my thoughts on those as well. Again, read them for yourself and decide. But also know, that if you are not interested in reading them and/or feel you shouldn't, that's okay too! Just don't get into a discussion like I did and look foolish.

Would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to share!

4 comments:

jahcriado said...

This happens way too much in the X-ian community. Someone hears there's Vampires in the book or they're "killing God" or magic in the book & its automatically the devils playground & should be totally banned from everything.

I don't know if or when I will read the book (the movie was actually pretty good, but I do like & miss traditional vampires) but I am sure it will not be any worse than the Greek mythology I read as a kid (I do find it interesting that people will throw a ruckus about modern books like this but for centuries a keystone in classical learning has been mythologies & fables far raunchier & scandalous & filled with magic & gore than Potter or Twilight or any other modern fiction).

Anyways, I promised I would look more into Buddhism & give my thoughts on it & I will, but I've had a lot of school work & some interesting family stuff. School is out soon, I'll get on it then. Have fun with the 3 (thought it was 4?) students you get this summer!

Michaela Scott said...

I did read Twilight, and I found it to be a romantic story about two young people who love eachother, and defy the odds to be with eachother. I do admit the idea that Edward was a vampire could be considered creepy by some, but he was polite and treated Bella with the respect she deserved. Also, a lot of people don't read the book and form negative oppinions of it simply because they hear the word "vampire". If you've read the book and you totally hate it, that's fine. But if you don't read the book and decide to hate based on gossip you've heard, you really shouldn't be forming that oppinion until you actually read it! So Mrs. Mayfield deserves a great big "YAY!" for actually reading it!!!!
On a different note, I miss you all so much and really admire the work you are doing in India. May God bless you.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jonathan Lindsay said...

Kara and I are working on reading it but having trouble finding the time when I can sit and read to her. We loved the movie and I mean loved the movie. Obviously I'm a huge Robert Pattinson fan, especially is debut in Harry Potter. By the way, which author were you referring too?