Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged! For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go! -Josh 1:9

Stuck in the Elevator..What to Do?

Awhile back, we were headed out to our last prenatal class. We live on the 15th floor and ride the elevators down to ground floor. From there, we walk outside to another elevator that takes us to the second floor in the parking garage below our complex. We often try to take the stairs for exercise, but with the extra weight I am carrying, the heat, and my ever swelling feet, the elevator is our choice these days!

However, we never expected the event that took place on this particular Sunday. The doors opened to let us out at the second floor and then suddenly closed on us. We just stood there staring at the doors for a few seconds, then at each other, and then back at the doors. JP, with all his strength, could not get them open. I took a deep breath, told myself not to panic, and that's when the electricity went out. Then I began to pray. Praise the Lord, it only last for a few seconds. I then held the alarm button down and pushed the call button at the same time. Again, praise the Lord SOMEBODY thought ahead about emergencies when installing the elevators!

So can you picture it? JP lunged over refusing to give up on opening the doors to save his wife and unborn child (this was actually a very similar situation when we first met and fell in love on the Metro in DC). I am leaning into the speaker explaining our situation, in Hindi, to the little man on the other end. Just 3 minutes later, the doors opened, and there was the little Indian man in his green uniform standing on the other side. JP said thank you and told him he was our hero! With a bit of a semi-toothless grin, he smiled and just watched us walk away.

In conclusion..I no longer use that elevator even though it has been "working" lately. JP takes the stairs to get the car and I walk along the fountain to the front gate slowly and wait for my knight in a shining Innova to come pick me up!

1 comment:

Aidan and Zachary said...

If only there were a picture to go along with this story such as the uniformed man!