Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged! For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go! -Josh 1:9

Whispers of Truth: Persevere AND Endure

My heart.  More diagnosis time.  Through our challenging, dry season, I have struggled figuring out what the precise sickness was in my heart and why I was struggling so much.  Here's just another one that I am working through and laying before Him.  My daily medicine is His Word as I continue to grow in this area!

Whisper of Truth:
Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines the following: 
Persevere- to persist in a state, enterprise, or undertaking in spite of counter-influences, opposition, or discouragement.  Synonyms: carry on, persist, hang in there...
Endure- to regard with acceptance or tolerance Synonyms: experience, feel, pass, suffer

To persevere is to "keep on keepin' on!".  Endure?  Your attitude through the journey.  Being the inquisitive little PYP teacher/student that I am, I asked our session leader,  "Is it possible to persevere, but not endure?"  As a group, we discussed it.  That's when the whisper came.  "Alicia, for the last 3 months you have persevered.  You have held onto me and have gone from one problematic situation to another.  But your attitude?  You have not endured this season.  Not that I require you to find joy in your situations and be happy about all the hardships.  You can cry.  You can be frustrated.  But I want you, every time, to come to me, lay your burdens down, talk to me, and find joy in me.  I will then adjust your attitude.  You will find joy.  And therefore, you will endure!"  Persevere and Endure!

So my friend, where are you in the journey?  Are you persevering and enduring?  Or do you find yourself "keepin' on" cause you can-are supposed to-are very stubborn, but with an attitude that is anything but one of joy in Him?

"Therefore since we also have such a large cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us lay aside every weight and the sin that so easily ensnares us, and run with endurance the race that lies before us, keeping our eyes on Jesus, the source and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that lay before Him, endured a cross and despised the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of God's throne." -Hebrews 12:1-2


"...because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."  James 1:3-4

No comments: