Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged! For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go! -Josh 1:9

Please Be Quiet

So I had a first time experience the other day at the movie theater. Good American movies don't consistently play in India, but lately, there have been lots of great ones playing. JP and I went to see Night at the Museum 2 the other day and were super excited. As the movie began, the young, Indian couple beside me continued to chit chat loudly enough to hear themselves over the movie, play on their cell phones, and laugh. So I kindly turned to her and asked if she could please be quiet as the movie had started. She smiled without making eye contact with me and said okay. I wasn't too confident about it, but figured they would eventually stop. However, minutes later, they continued to do the same thing to the point where I couldn't even concentrate on the movie. I missed the whole beginning. That's when I decided to speak up again. At first she wouldn't look at me or even acknowledge that I was speaking. I then said, "Excuse me" and waited for her to look at me. When she did, she told me to "Just chill okay!" (Hint-Not a good thing to say to a prego lady that is trying to be nice and diplomatic, but is getting really frustrated that you are NOT being quiet during a movie that I PAID good money to watch because you are only thinking about yourself!) That's when I became the very firm Mrs. Mayfield and made sure she understood what I was saying. Apparently it worked. They stopped talking and then a few minutes later, left the movie theater and never came back. Confronting someone in the movie theater WAS a first for me, but honestly, I couldn't just let them continue to be rude and disrupt the whole movie because they were only thinking of themselves which is NOT a first for India.

1 comment:

littlelilly said...

Heehee! I'm proud. Taking a page out of the Auntie Misty book.